Congrats to the students of the month: Salihah, Naseelah and Maryam M.! MashaAllah keep it up!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some Advice

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Some Advice on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:04 pm

1.    A thread that was posted last year that is still a relevant and poignant reminder for students of tajweed. Return to this thread routinely for comments, questions, and tips for practicing at home.

In her book, Siraaj As Saa’ireen, Shaykhah Kawthar Al Khooli explains that the science of tajweed (like all sciences) has two divisions: academic, and practical. As for the first, then it has come to us from the books of the scholars, those who expressed (wrote down) the recitation of the prophet sallallaahu’alaihi wasallam so they cited for us the makhraj of each letter and its characteristics, then the rules like idh-haar, idghaam etc.

As for the second it is engaging with and implementing the rules of recitation. And there is no doubt that this must be taken from a scholar with precision and it must be done by repeating after her and listening to her until you learn the correct pronunciation. And know that the reciter who is precise can not do without these two categories. You must know the mistakes in your recitation and correct them and this will not occur except by training your tongue and a lot of repetition, until the proper recitation becomes second nature for you…

What do you need to work on in your recitation? How can you work on it? Use this thread to list tips and goals for yourself and others for correcting our recitation.

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

2 Re: Some Advice on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
You can record yourself reciting them compare it to Husary

3 Re: Some Advice on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
AmirahMS wrote:You can record yourself reciting them compare it to Husary
Love this tip. 

I tried this myself when I was studying Hafs/Shu'bah with my instructor. I still use this method today for studying the recitation of warsh. It's quite eye opening listening to your progress via audio. Certain things that I thought were as perfect as could be when I got started...were actually pretty awful. Which shows the importance of knowledge, subhaanullaah. It isn't until one truly spends time understanding the "hows" of proper recitation and applying them with a qualified teacher that they can identify their own mistakes and correct them, by the success of Allaah. So, as Amirah suggested, after learning the foundations and getting help from a teacher, record and listen to yourself and look out for those specific errors.

What do you all think about dedicating a time for memorizing/reviewing? Is there a time that works best for you?

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

4 Re: Some Advice on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
AmirahMS wrote:You can record yourself reciting them compare it to Husary
Love this tip. 

I tried this myself when I was studying Hafs/Shu'bah with my instructor. I still use this method today for studying the recitation of warsh. It's quite eye opening listening to your progress via audio. Certain things that I thought were as perfect as could be when I got started...were actually pretty awful. Which shows the importance of knowledge, subhaanullaah. It isn't until one truly spends time understanding the "hows" of proper recitation and applying them with a qualified teacher that they can identify their own mistakes and correct them, by the success of Allaah. So, as Amirah suggested, after learning the foundations and getting help from a teacher, record and listen to yourself and look out for those specific errors.

What do you all think about dedicating a time for memorizing/reviewing? Is there a time that works best for you?

I usually review in the morning and then do new memorization that evening. And then the next morning before I start my very first class of the day I review the new memorization.

I want to work on the rules this year inshaAllah because I'm having trouble with them.

View user profile

5 Re: Some Advice on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

You can lightly underline any mistakes you make while reading or reciting.

View user profile

6 Re: Some Advice on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 pm

SalihahSiddiqah wrote:
Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
AmirahMS wrote:You can record yourself reciting them compare it to Husary
Love this tip. 

I tried this myself when I was studying Hafs/Shu'bah with my instructor. I still use this method today for studying the recitation of warsh. It's quite eye opening listening to your progress via audio. Certain things that I thought were as perfect as could be when I got started...were actually pretty awful. Which shows the importance of knowledge, subhaanullaah. It isn't until one truly spends time understanding the "hows" of proper recitation and applying them with a qualified teacher that they can identify their own mistakes and correct them, by the success of Allaah. So, as Amirah suggested, after learning the foundations and getting help from a teacher, record and listen to yourself and look out for those specific errors.

What do you all think about dedicating a time for memorizing/reviewing? Is there a time that works best for you?

I usually review in the morning and then do new memorization that evening. And then the next morning before I start my very first class of the day I review the new memorization.

I want to work on the rules this year inshaAllah because I'm having trouble with them.
The morning is definitely the best time for memorization and it is always recommended by the 'ulamaa'. Especially early morning. In an article concerning some of the issues pertaining to prayer (see here) the author states: 


"There is full goodness and blessing in the time following Fajr prayer. The Prophet made good use of it occupy himself with the remembrance of Allah until sunrise, whereupon he would pray two rakahs. The rightly guided generations were very committed to the observance of this good sunnah [tradition]. For instance, Shaikh-ul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah is reported by his student, Ibnul Qayyim to be in the habit of engaging in Allah's remembrance of Allah after Fajr prayer and to say: "Verily there is in the Dunya [this world] a garden the shunner of which will not enter Paradise in the Hereafter". By this he means that the pleasure of the communion with Allaah through remembrance cannot be compared with all the pleasures of this world put together. He, may Allaah bless his soul, is also reported as saying: "This is my main sustenance; if I fail to have enough of it I will lose my vital energy".
The time following Fajr prayer is full of goodness and blessings. At-Tirmidhee narrated upon the authority of Al Ghamdi that the Prophet said: "O Allah bless my Ummah in its early rising!" and whenever he dispatched an expedition or army he sent them early at the beginning of the day. Sakhr was a merchant who always sent his merchandise early in morning thus, becoming wealthy. That is why we find the craftsmen and traders are particular about making good use of this time. Those who sleep up to the late morning have denied themselves the blessings of this early hour."

May Allaah bless our mornings, aameen!

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

7 Re: Some Advice on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Azzah_G wrote:You can lightly underline any mistakes you make while reading or reciting.
Absolutely. Which links us to another benefit: Use ONE mus-haf.
Thus we can visualize the page (and our mistakes) which will be of great use during memorization and review.  

Another one is eating raisins! Has anyone tried that?



Last edited by Asiyyah Bint Dawud on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

8 Re: Some Advice on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm

I have never treid that

View user profile

9 Re: Some Advice on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 am

What does eating raisins do to help??

View user profile

10 Re: Some Advice on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 am

Azzah_G wrote:What does eating raisins do to help??
Don't be alarmed (smile).
قال الزُّهْرى: مَن أحبَّ أن يحفظ الحديث، فليأكل الزبيبَ
Imam AzZuhri said: Whoever wants to memorize hadeeth, then let him eat raisins.
Also Imam ibn al Qayyim mention that from the benefits of consuming raisins is strengthening of the memory. See here for more discussion on this topic.
There are other foods noted for containing vitamins that target the improvements of memory like honey, black seed oil, fresh fish etc.
Wa billaahi at-tawfeeq (And with Allaah is the success.)

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

11 Re: Some Advice on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 pm

You can repeat over and over until you memorize it

View user profile

12 Re: Some Advice on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 pm

aisha.m wrote:You can repeat over and over until you memorize it
Definitely. Usually it is good to read the verse(s) 5-10 before saying it from memory. 

Grabbing a partner is a good method, as well. Do any of you schedule time with a classmate or family member?

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

13 Re: Some Advice on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:22 pm

When I feel that I memorized it good enough I asked my mom or step-dad to test me

View user profile

14 Re: Some Advice on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Azzah_G wrote:When I feel that I memorized it good enough I asked my mom or step-dad to test me
Alhamdullillaah, Jazaahumallaahu khairan...
Today I came across a beautiful and encouraging quote pertaining to memorizing. The ulamaa' have a saying that the one who memorizes is like the traveler who carries with him (or her) dates whereas the one who does not memorize is like the traveler who carries with him (or her) wheat. 
What do you think about this quote? How is this a striking similitude?

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

15 Re: Some Advice on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Sometimes i listen to it over and over and i memorize it.

View user profile

16 Re: Some Advice on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:03 pm

aisha.m wrote:Sometimes i listen to it over and over and i memorize it.
Listening is actually key. It helps to instill the pattern and rhythm of the verses while memorizing. Mahmood Khalil Hussary is generally recommended. Shaykh Ali Al Hudhayfi is also great for a faster pace. 


Staying away from overeating. It was said:


" البطنة تذهب الفطنة "Gluttony does away with sagacity". 


And rasoolullaah sallallaahu alaihi wasallam said, "The Son of Adam will not fill a vessel worse for himself than his stomach. It is enough for the Son of Adam to eat a few bites that strengthens his spine. If he likes to have more, then let him fill a third with food, a third with drink and leave a third for his breathing".


Has anybody tried memorizing right after eating a big meal? How about after having a light breakfast? Or right after waking up?

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

17 Re: Some Advice on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
One day after having lunch I was able memorize pretty well.

18 Re: Some Advice on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 pm

AmirahMS wrote:One day after having lunch I was able memorize pretty well.
MaashaaAllaah. Was it a big lunch, or something moderate?

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

19 Re: Some Advice on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
It was pretty moderate

20 Re: Some Advice on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 pm

AmirahMS wrote:It was pretty moderate
Probably enough to give you an energy boost after a long morning (smile). 
What do you all think about writing what you memorized?

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

21 Re: Some Advice on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
I have never tried that. But I think if you know what it looks like you can imagine it, so when you recite you can see it in your head.

22 Re: Some Advice on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Also if you break it down into chunks and memorize while adding on it will be easier

23 Re: Some Advice on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:59 pm

There is one that is extremely important which we perhaps should have mentioned first. It can be found in aayatud-dayn (ayah concerning debts) which is verse 282 of surah al baaqarah. Can someone extract the benefit for us? Jazaakunnallaahu khairan.

View user profile http://queageinmotion.com

24 Re: Some Advice on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
Azzah_G wrote:What does eating raisins do to help??
Don't be alarmed (smile).
قال الزُّهْرى: مَن أحبَّ أن يحفظ الحديث، فليأكل الزبيبَ
Imam AzZuhri said: Whoever wants to memorize hadeeth, then let him eat raisins.
Also Imam ibn al Qayyim mention that from the benefits of consuming raisins is strengthening of the memory. See here for more discussion on this topic.
There are other foods noted for containing vitamins that target the improvements of memory like honey, black seed oil, fresh fish etc.
Wa billaahi at-tawfeeq (And with Allaah is the success.)

I like to eat raisins and fish. And honey of course!

View user profile

25 Re: Some Advice on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Asiyyah Bint Dawud wrote:
aisha.m wrote:Sometimes i listen to it over and over and i memorize it.
Listening is actually key. It helps to instill the pattern and rhythm of the verses while memorizing. Mahmood Khalil Hussary is generally recommended. Shaykh Ali Al Hudhayfi is also great for a faster pace. 


Staying away from overeating. It was said:


" البطنة تذهب الفطنة "Gluttony does away with sagacity". 


And rasoolullaah sallallaahu alaihi wasallam said, "The Son of Adam will not fill a vessel worse for himself than his stomach. It is enough for the Son of Adam to eat a few bites that strengthens his spine. If he likes to have more, then let him fill a third with food, a third with drink and leave a third for his breathing".


Has anybody tried memorizing right after eating a big meal? How about after having a light breakfast? Or right after waking up?

It's easier for me to memorize after a light breakfast than before I eat. When I first wake up, I'm thinking about food and my stomach feels empty so it's hard for me to concentrate and memorize.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum